Tuesday, December 21, 2010

This time-lapse picture of the lunar eclipse was taken at 1:18am.  The shutter was held open for 30 seconds at an aperture of f/6.3. This shoot turned out to be a challenge for me because of a few reasons.  The first problem I encountered was my tripod or, shall I say, my lack of experience with it.  I had never tried to point the camera straight up while attached to the tripod and look through the view finder.  The second thing I fought with was trying to locate the barely lit eclipsed moon in the view finder.  When I activated the automatic focus feature the LCD screen lit up to update the data and would ruin my night vision.  Switching to manual focus prevented the screen from illuminating but, due to the low light, I couldn't determine sharpness.  The last obstacle that I faced was the bitter cold.  After 40 minutes I couldn't feel my fingers.  I returned to the warmth of the house for about 15 minutes to figure out the tripod and thaw my frozen hands.  The mechanics of the tripod turned out to be as difficult as folding a map while balancing a running chainsaw on your forehead.  I returned to the Arctic and continued to struggle with focus.  I wanted to capture a true Journey Around The Sun event since the last time that a lunar eclipse occurred on the Winter Solstice was in 1638 and the next one will happen in 2094.  Do your positive influences eclipse your faults?

No comments:

Post a Comment