Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Guess what I found by accident.  It wasn't too bad, just a small reminder that the little guys need their space too.  While I was up close and personal taking some pictures I noticed that cacti have some of the same characteristics as some people.  At first look (or touch) there is a sharp, pointy outer defense barrier that wards off invaders.  But if you look close, there is a soft, delicate part that the spines protect.  I'm sure you have someone in mind right now that fits this description.  Maybe its that grumpy under-paid, overworked office supervisor, or that aunt that married uncle what's-his-name.  Whoever it is, try to get past the barbed perimeter and see who they are.  I bet that if you take some time and find out why they "needle" you, that you will have a stronger relationship and you will learn a whole lot about yourself.  I had a best friend that no one could stand because he jumped down their throat all the time.  Once you got inside his Main Shield (we need more power, Scotty!) he was a very reasonable and likeable person.  He taught me more about me than he'll ever realize.  Getting back to the cactus:  Did you know that the cactus is native to North America (except for one species) and is related to the beet, rhubarb, and spinach?  Once a cactus saved my life.  I briefly worked for an oil exploration company and laid cable (used for reflection seismology) in the Arizona desert.  Another guy and I were dropped off about 15 miles from nowhere (no, not the town Nowhere, Arizona but I've been there too), and we were told that the truck would be back in 2 hours to pick us up.  As the truck returned to town to get some more cable, it fell into a dry creek bed and broke an axle.  With the ensuing scramble to make the repairs, my collegue and I were forgotten.  Unknowingly, we had rationed the contents of our canteens poorly and were up a creek without . . .water!  Soon the 120 plus degree heat started taking its toll and at one point the only shade we had was each other.  We found a huge prickly pear cactus and cut a large chunk out of the middle.  There were little droplets inside but the most relief we found was from the glue-like liquid that was made when we ate the inside of the "pads".  Our ride finally returned (nearly 6 hours later) and found two hungry, exhausted, but well-tanned hombres.  I hope you get to know the inside of your "cactus" better since they may be the key to your survival one day.  What did you run into today that made you stop and think?

No comments:

Post a Comment